Making Washing Gel
Written by ***merlin***
This makes 22 litres. I make a full batch, but it is easily changed to make smaller quantities. I store it in 5-litre containers with the pump things on top that were gifted to me. But anything similar will do.
22 litres water
2 cups/16oz soap (grated)
2 cups/16oz borax or substitute (sodium sesquicarbonate)
2 cups/16oz washing soda
To make a small quantity - 5 litres (1 gallon) - use:
5 litres (Use 0.5 litre to boil at the beginning)
4 oz of everything
You will also need a pan, wooden spoon / whisk and a large, clean bucket.
1. Put 2 litres of the water in a pot on the cooker and bring to the boil. Then turn down to a gentle heat. Add finely grated soap:-
2. Stir/whisk until the soap has melted:-
3. Add the borax and washing soda and stir well until all is dissolved.
4. Pour into the bucket:-
5. Add the additional 20 litres of warm/hot tap water. Stir until well mixed:-
6. Add fragrance if desired (do not use lavender essential oil if males will be using the gel).
Now either decant the gel into suitable containers or leave it in the (covered) bucket. Use 1/4 cup for each load of laundry. You will need to stir the soap each time you use it (it will gel, but this will take roughly 48 hours).